Recipe – Stir Fried Vegetables with Edamame
This is a simple, healthy and delicious recipe that can be served as a main or side dish.
Recipe - Stir Fried Vegetables with Edamame
Author: Gita Patel
Cuisine: Vegetarian, Indian
Edamame (Green Soybean or Sweet Soybean) has been cultivated in China for over 3,000 years. Research shows that consuming isoflavone-containing whole soy foods, as opposed to isolated isoflavones, significantly inhibits bone loss and stimulates bone formation in menopausal women. Whole soy foods protect post-menopausal women against cardiovascular disease. Soybeans, high in protein, contain molybdenum, iron, manganese, phosphorus, omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, copper, potassium, vitamin B2 and choline. For a video of cooking this recipe, click on the video in the right column
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2T olive oil
- 1T sesame seeds
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ jalapeno pepper sliced in half or use cayenne or black pepper to taste
- 11/2 C fresh or frozen corn
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- 1C thawed frozen edamame
- 3C cut fresh zucchini
- 1C cut fresh sweet red bell pepper
- 1C chopped (with tender stems) cilantro
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- Cooked rice, millet or quinoa
- Wash the fresh vegetables, cilantro, lemon and jalapeno pepper.
- Measure 11/2 C corn and set aside.
- Thaw 1C frozen edamame.
- Cut the zucchini and red pepper. Peel the garlic cloves.
- Chop the garlic and cilantro. Slice half a jalapeno in half.
- Zest the lemon
- Add jalapeno, salt and turmeric to the corn.
- Assemble all the ingredients.
- Combine edamame, zucchini and cut red pepper.
- Heat a 2-3 quart skillet or pan on medium high heat with 1 tsp cumin seeds.
- When the seeds begin to change color and give an aroma add 2T olive oil, sesame seeds and chopped garlic and turn heat to medium.
- Fry the garlic for a minute and add jalapeno, corn, salt and turmeric. Stir and cook covered for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir and add edamame, zucchini and red pepper. Stir and cook covered for 3-4 minutes.
- Before serving add chopped cilantro, lemon zest and fresh lemon juice, stir to mix all the ingredients.
- Serve the vegetables with a meal over rice, quinoa or millet. Enjoy leftovers for lunch in a pita pocket.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 128 Fat: 6 Carbohydrates: 16 Sodium: 59 Fiber: 3 Protein: 5